Monday, May 18, 2009

Be Careful Little Eyes What You See

Does everyone know this Sunday school song? I love to hear our little kids at church sing these songs - they hold so much truth in them. This particular one has been ringing in my ears lately. Before I tell you why - I have to make a confession.

I like reality TV.

It's true.

Not perverse stuff like Survivor or Big Brother, where the whole premise is surrounded with sexual innuendo. I like The Amazing Race - fun to watch and exciting, too. We have even held a homemade version with our church family a couple of times.

The problem isn't the TV show, it's the commercials! It is impossible to watch the show without being assaulted by previews for other TV shows and movies that are completely inappropriate for me to see - never mind my 9 year old Duck! It seems harmless when a 30 second commercial goes by and enters your head, but htere is a basic saying that stands here: garbage in/garbage out. Once this garbage enters us in such simple and unnoticeable fashions (which is the techniques that marketers love), our heart and it's natural state churn out garbage.

There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man. Matthew 7:15

How do we solve this issue in our house? We have had to start recording the show and watching the following night. This way, we can fast forward past the commercials and just watch the show. Even Duck knows to fast forward without needing to be told. The garbage that is broadcast as 'previews' reminds me (as if I needed the reminder) that I never need cable TV or satellite. There isn't anything worth the cost of it. The cost of it is too high in many ways.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I hate commercials also. Though I love reality tv, I must admit that some commercial on prime time tv are so inappropriate for children.

Sounds like you have a great way to by pass them.

Mrs. Parunak said...

Amen to this one, Kim! "Garbage in. Garbage out!" So true.