This cake is easy to put together (although it requires three bowls). It is a favourite of many at church - and nobody knows food like Baptists!
Rich's Coffee Cake
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (or kefir)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- In a seperate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In another seperate bowl, combine sour cream and vanilla.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream mix into large bowl and
beat until just combined.
Topping: 1 cup chopped pecans
5 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan and pour in cake batter.
- **Sprinkle topping mix on top of cake batter (bottom of finished cake).
- Bake at 350 degrees F x 60 - 70 minutes, or until passes toothpick test.
- Cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan to cool completely.
Glaze: 2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp. milk
2 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
- Mix glaze together and drizzle over top of cake. (adjust the sugar/milk ratio to get the thickness desired for good drizzle effect)
**it is easy to vary the placement of pecan mix - fill pan to half full and add layer of pecan mix before adding remainder of batter; sprinkle some pecan mix into pan before any batter added - play with it to find the final result you like best.