Monday, November 30, 2009

My Husband is Trying to Kill Me!

Okay, maybe that is a slight exaggeration...slight. He's been reading a magazine that talks alot about 'unschooling'. That's the philosophy of home education where there is no curriculum. That means NO SCHEDULING! That would be the part that could kill me.

He's thinking we could start using this as a practical way to encourage different skills for Duck. Forget the books, forget timeframes, just work through individual projects. Can you hear me hyperventilating?

The idea of removing structured learning is kind of scary. What if we forget to teach something really important? What if the school board decides to test all homeschool students and Duck is no longer able to work through test? What am I going to do without a daily schedule?!

OK. Breathe.

My husband asked me to consider the idea and we've come to a compromise. Text books in the morning and practical projects after lunch. The projects we are looking at are sewing, meal preparation, grocery budgeting, photography, etc. By setting each project up as a unit study, Duck will need to work each one from beginning to end and include math, english/reading, research, etc.

I am sure there will be bumps along the way. I am also sure that I 'can do all things through Christ who strengthens me'...as long as I can keep some form of a schedule.

2 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Submission sure can be a grand adventure, can't it? "I can do all things through Christ" is a great attitude to have.

Tereza Crump said...

LOL I had to laugh. We practice Unschooling at home. We have #4 on the way, with 3 under 7y.o. It can work out if you keep your cool and believe that God is under control. :)