Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Ruby Club


Recently, I have felt a burden to reach out to younger women and attempt to live out Titus 2. I have always found it difficult to accept that I would have anything of value to pass on to girls who are not my daughter. That is one of several excuses that has helped me to avoid this responsibility for many years. This summer, I took a leap of faith and started "The Ruby Club" (i.e. Proverbs 31:10).

This club is meant to encourage girls 14 - 17 years old to discuss issues in their lives from scriptural standpoints. Our goals are to strive toward the verses: 1John 5:1-3 and 1Corinthians 10:31 - to study our lives as Christian women, young and old, through the wisdom of the scriptures.

Specifically, I asked the girls a simple question; "do we, as Christians, really care what God has to say about...". And if we do care, lets find out what He does have to say. We discuss opinions and convictions - with the understanding that we may not agree with each other, but we present the scriptural basis for our beliefs. All this to encourage our growth in a relationship with Christ.

Being the inaugural run of the club, the 3 young woman that are attending are kind of my guinea pigs for finding topics that they are interested in discussing. We've had two meetings now, and these girls have alot to say - I am learning alot! I had no idea the troubles these girls would be struggling with at their age. Perhaps in my own version of naivete, I imagined that my non-christian upbringing would have little to do with the lives of these girls from professing Christian families. However, the issues that were prevalent in my teen years are present for them, as well.

Maybe, just maybe, God planned for me to do this study in order to share the mercy and forgiveness that I have learned to embrace from Him for my life so long ago. Our first topic was on mercy - receiving and giving. I'll share the thoughts from that meeting on another post.

For now, I continue to pray about leading these young women in the way
God would have them go.


For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Philippians 2:13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for women like you! So much of what our young people get these days is ski trips and parties. Young women need godly older women to come along side them and ask them EXACTLY the question that you put forth, "Do we really care what the Bible says about...?" (Young men need godly older men, too, but that's our husbands' job.)