Wednesday, July 23, 2008

God Gave Me One

The quiverful debate rages among the Christian masses regularly these days. I have church members who are passionate about their beliefs on this subject. And passionate they should be, it is truly a glory to give your womb to the Lord and make no plans outside of His will for your family.

Unfortunately, this quiverful movement has been tainted in some ways by those who use scripture to advance their own desires and their own glory. Women who preach the verses to their husbands to manipulate their family situation. Parents who dress up their multiple children on Sunday for 'show and tell', but give very little attention to the verses about training those children up in God's way. People who believe that because they have a large family, they are instantly righteous. Those who look at small families and criticize or question their faith.

I have one daughter, eight years old. For eight years I have waited on the Lord to bless my womb again. I have struggled with miscarriages, I have patiently endured 'pep talks' from those who (honestly) believe they are encouraging me. There have been times when I have been angry with God when another woman is given another child when, from my view, she isn't taking care of the ones she already has at home. My prayers are fervent and unceasing. Still no further children come.

This is where the rubber meets the road in trusting the Lord. If just 'having' children brought instant righteousness, than why not use the medical technology to meet my desires? Why not join the ranks of those who pop pills and have surgeries to correct what my sins have done to my body? How could I then, when a child has arrived, give the glory to God? It would be a work that I achieved, in spite of God's plans. The glory would be for the doctors involved; for me in overriding God's will with mine.

Yes, I believe that today's technology could give me another child, maybe several more. I cannot convince myself that this is right in His eyes.
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful unto me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
1Corinthians 6:12

God does allow us, as His saved children, to make our own choices in this world - both good decisions and bad. Over time, my prayer has turned to seeking greater faith in His will when I am tempted to place my will first. The desire for more children has not left me, even though my age is advancing and each month brings...just another month. How great will be glory I will give Him should He ever grant us a baby again.

Greater still will be the glory in simply trusting Him. Isaiah 55:8&9

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an excellent post! I find it ironic that while the current trend in Christendom is to view large families as automatically righteous, it's actually those who are facing trials of their faith (such as the one you so poignantly describe here) who have the greatest chance to develop true righteousness.

1Peter 1:7-9 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.