Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Bubble

In my church we have a tradition for Sunday evening service, where someone will get up and give a personal testimony. Now, because it is Sunday evening, most of those in attendance are people who have been members for awhile(visitors usually come in the morning) - and we know each other pretty well. So when it was my turn to get up for a testimony the other week, I had to consider what I could say that everyone didn't already know about me. Fortunately, God has always pointed something out to me - just like the epiphany He gave this time.

Lots of people comment that they see me about town. They tell me they wave at me or honk, but I don't respond to them. That's because I don't see them - or anyone - when I'm out walking/driving/shopping. That's because I'm in my bubble; my own world of thoughts. I accomplish so much more in my day when I stay in my bubble and avoid all distractions. I like my bubble and it has served me well throughout my life. It is a comfortable place where I am content to live without letting anyone in.

But recently something happened to change my life in my bubble. My family had taken a vacation and when we returned home, several families from church were on their own vacations. This meant that there were several weeks where our common congregation was missing some of the commoners. This is where the epiphany comes in - I realized I missed these people! I actually looked for them to return. This was a revelation that my bubble had somehow developed a hole.

Now, I would not have chosen to open my bubble to others. I had no inclination to do this. Then during a Bible study, God showed me this verse:

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.
John 21:18
God had opened my bubble for me. He knew I needed to let some people in; He knows I need to step out occasionally to be effective in my witness, too. Just as He saved me without waiting for me to 'make a choice', He is changing me without waiting for me do it myself. Thankfully!
So, I ended my testimony by welcoming these people to my bubble. Then, my old self spoke up and clarified that this did not mean they could hug me. I am not a hugger - until He chooses to change that part anyway!

No comments: