Friday, June 27, 2008

More Money Than Brains


Okay, maybe that title is a bit harsh. However, I must say that because there are people in this world who are foolish with their money, I have benefited regularly. Obviously, yard sales are a great hobby for me - but stuff there still costs money. Today I'm talking about the free stuff. The perfectly good, barely used, over priced as new items that people just give away. I am talking about the re-use-it sheds at the local landfills.

In my area there are half a dozen landfills that utilize this practice of seperating items that can be used again from what is dropped off as garbage. Over the years I have acquired tv tables, bikes (kids and adults), a three piece glass mixing bowl set, a full children's china tea set, outdoor planters...the list could go on for awhile.

For those of you who are feeling squeamish about shopping at the dump, let me assure you that these items are in excellent shape, the workers from the landfill become aware of what will be taken away and what is truly garbage. For the most part, those individuals that fit the title of this post live in a materialistic manner - but don't appreciate the material that they acquire, and just throw it away! It never ceases to amaze me what people will throw away.

God has used these situations to bless our family repeatedly...proving, yet again, that He does own it all and will make sure it is used as He sees fit; even using the re-use-it sheds for the process.

I encourage all of you to check your local dumps - Happy hunting!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Wow that is really interesting.. I would of never known such a service was offered. I am not sure how my husband will feel if I suggest we go dump site hunting lol but Ill mention it. Thanks for the great idea.