Thursday, May 26, 2011

Love/Hate Relationship

I love my computer. I hate my computer. Can I get an 'amen?!'

We use our computer frequently throughout the day. Both my husband and I read the newspaper online. We all, including Duck, do research online. Duck and I both use Word documents for organizing our daily tasks and, of course, we use it for school. Even bible studies can be done more effectively with the computer when we can't find a particular passage...the computer finds it way faster than any concordance.

Yes, this piece of technology is woven into my life for efficiency and organization. That's why I love it.

Then there are the troubles it brings. Websites that are slow or freezing when I only have a moment before needing to move on with my day. Also the times when our server is down and feels like FOREVER before I can get into my email. The worst, however, is the security lapses that allow viruses to enter. That happened just this past few weeks.

A virus calling itself 'XP security 2011' popped up and would not go away. It looked exactly like a Microsoft program and wanted me to purchase a new security system (FYI, it is not from Microsoft and should you encounter it - do not purchase it!). It took my computer hostage, refusing any access to the internet. My computer guy informed that we would have to remove the operating system and reload it. Thereby losing any data, pictures and videos that were on hard drive if I could not get them backed up on disc.

Fortunately, I was able to remove all important and personal items onto disc - so we did not lose anything that way. What we did lose was days with our technological friend. I so, so, so missed the computer when it was unavailable. My husband and daughter felt the same way - Hoss didn't care, he just likes to chew on the cords right now.

So, as you can see, the computer has returned to us. I have spent hours reloading software and drivers. Why is it worth it? Because I got to see Mrs. Parunak's new baby who arrived while my computer was in limbo. Because my lists and charts for school are back at my fingertips. Because Duck can listen to Odyssey on the Radio again. Because I couldn't remember the reference for a particular bible passage that I needed.

Yes, a true love\hate relationship. I know it is only a machine. I know that if I had to, I could live without it. I know it is only a matter of time before it disappoints me - again. I know I will do everything necessary to fix it - again.

2 comments:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Well, I'm sure you know I'm happy you have your computer back! Those machines certainly are a huge part of our lives in this day and age.

Janet said...

I know when my computer was acting up I just got so frustrated that I stopped communicating by email and blog. I missed it!

Hard to believe that we didn't have email at all when we raised the first half of our kids.

Now we all communicate that way, even sometimes when we're sitting in the same room. There are three computers in here and one in the adjacent office. If we want to remember appointments or report phone messages, we use email rather than writing notes, because notes always get lost. :D

I'm glad you have your computer back. Nice to see you online again.