Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Time to Celebrate

So often kids are bombarded with the idea that returning to school is a bad thing, or something to groan about. However, as homeschoolers, we should want this part of our lives to be fun and exciting. My husband and I always look for ways to make learning interesting for Duck - to the point that she may not even recognize she's doing school. Such as the summer school program I mentioned before; or learning to sew; learning sign language; etc. All these things are fun and interesting to Duck.

When it comes to the textbooks and workbooks, we need to be more creative. I always make a big deal about new books, whether that be a new year or just a new unit within the year. If nothing else, Duck has learned to see new books as something to work toward getting and something to be appreciated when she gets them. However, this year I've noticed more of a disenchantment with starting up in September, "do we have to start so soon?"...

Daydreaming Duck

I suppose, when you consider my last blog, maybe I am guilty for the creation of this attitude. So now I must create the antidote. First, I changed my attitude - I am now looking forward to school. These are not just words, I really am geared up for the organization and planning again. I'm excited about getting back into some challenges and even the routine. So to transfer this excitement to Duck, I am planning a party. A back to school party.

We always hear about the end of the year parties (pizza parties, field trips, track and field days). As a homeschooler, I want to find ways to make this something to look forward to each year. The Duck will need to participate in the planning (hmmm, sounds like school already!). We'll need a theme, and invitations, we will certainly dress up for this party, with some fancy food and I'm pretty sure there will be chocolate involved...


This will be a grand event! (And I will take pictures to show off)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I love it.

Jacqueline said...

Can't wait to hear all about it, and see pictures!