Thursday, May 22, 2008

The $10 Horse - A Frugal Heritage


It's very hard to teach an 8 year old about being cheap with her money. As I have mentioned before I have an addiction to yard sales and I have passed this passion on to my daughter, the Duck. She has money burning a hole in her pocket, but each Saturday morning we have lessons in wise money management.

This past Saturday had the ultimate test. A toy size horse, the size of a shetland pony so she could pretend to ride it. Now, the Duck already has one, but this horse had clydesdale qualities with longer, plusher hair and a fancy saddle. The reaction to seeing this horse was one that her future husband could only hope for - they saw each other from across the room (garage), they slowly came together, she reached out her hand and called out "oh, mommy, it's sooo soft!" I have to admit, I was tempted to just say 'yes, buy it' and allow the love affair to live on. Fortunately, my cheapskate voice spoke up first - "ask how much it is."

The young lady selling the horse was obviously older than the Duck, and had outgrown her infatuation with horses, but she figured she saw an easy sale. She wanted $10 - more than half of the Duck's current yard sale fund. She wasn't negotiating the price.

Instant devastation! The Duck loves horses, but she has learned, in an 8 year old understanding, the value of the money God provides to her. She walked away.

This was a proud moment for me as a mom. My little Duck was officially a tightwad! Oh the joy in seeing the fruition of soooo many discussions about money management!

And then God took it one step further. A family friend arrived at the same yard sale. This woman's twin daughters are two of the Duck's closest friends and they, too, are horse crazy. Our friend bought the horse for the twins. So, do you see the blessing of the Duck's frugal choice? She still has her money AND she can play with the horse anyway when she visits her friends. Our Father in Heaven truly does use all people and things to show His love and glory to His children!

Trust in the Lord, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Psalm 37:3&4

Just ask the Duck!

1 comment:

Sarah Mae said...

That's a great story! I hope I can teach my little one the value of money - It's taken five years of forced frugal living to change my bad money habits!