Friday, March 7, 2008

So Why am I Here?

As you may discern from my short profile, I was on the fast track to worldly success several years ago. As a nurse in Canada, I could take a job anywhere and make a good income. But, as a nurse in administration - the top position for the facility - I did bring home a significant salary for a 'thirtysomething' woman. This was the kind of life and career that I had been raised to seek out...to be independent, self-sufficient and successful. However, I didn't feel successful. I was married, had just had my daughter and, at that point, was promoted to Executive Director. But I felt trapped, tired, and was growing more miserable by the week.

After allowing myself to mull over my misery for some time, I got around to listening to what God was telling me. What I had wasn't the 'success' that He wanted for me. Just because I was capable of being an Executive Director; just because I had made proper arrangements for someone to care for my child while I worked; just because everyone around me believed I was accomplishing the right things didn't mean that it was expedient for me.

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be under the power of any.
1 Corinthians 6:12

As one of God's chosen, I had the choice between obeying His plan for my life or keeping one foot in the world while crying "Christian" - that's what Paul is pointing out in this passage. Maybe I wasn't breaking any commandments by being a working wife and mother, but I was certainly losing out on the blessings that are available for following the path of righteousness. And after too much time was lost in my ignorance and selfishness, I finally got it! God had always been showing this truth to me, but I was taking the "lawful" route and following the worldly path. Armed with this new scriptural understanding, and with the support of my husband, I resigned from my position. And as soon as I did, even before the arrival of my last working day, I felt tremendous relief and great anticipation for what the Lord would be doing for our family - now that we were listening.

Now, before anyone gets their nose out of joint...let me assure you I understand the need for having a certain amount of income for running a household. Maybe now more than when I was working full time. Our family went from a yearly income of 65K to less than 20K - I was the 'bread-winner' of the family. My husband had been the full-time parent at home. So when we decided to jump out in faith - we really jumped! Not just financially speaking either - I had no idea how to run a household and I had no idea if my husband knew how to find and keep a full time job. Yes, I was scared and frustrated alot. Yes, I felt like I was learning to be a woman for the first time. Yes, I had to learn how to give the leadership to my husband rather than 'direct' him everytime he turned around.

But now, after 4 years, it was soooooo worth it! My whole family is happier - in ways we could never have imagined.

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. John 10:10

Satan would have us believe it is too hard to follow the path of righteousness, that there are too many obstacles to do things God's way. The strength and resolve of our faith makes the difference. God wouldn't lay the plan out for us to follow if it couldn't be done.

I encourage other women to learn how to be a helpmeet to their husbands, to learn to raise their own children and to accept the abundant life that the Lord has waiting for you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I was really encouraged by this post! My husband and I are just wrestling with this issue right now. I am two months away from returning to work after my first baby and we are really struggling with the idea of living on one income. Your story is one of many I have found to point us in the right direction - the direction of looking to the Lord and trusting His ways. I look forward to more posts here - I just found you by flipping the blogs, but I will be back!

Janet said...

Kim from Canada, I am Janet, also from Canada! I saw you on Stacy's blog.

I commend you and your husband for making the somewhat difficult decision to change roles four years ago. It's good to read how you have been blessed as a result of your wise decision.

Most of my married life, I have been a stay-at-home mom. However, about 3 years ago I began to work on a part-time basis for a Christian ministry that I dearly love. I thought I could do it...after all, my older children were very responsible, and I would only be out of the home for two days per week.

I can tell you that it was very difficult for all of us. In the beginning, it was exciting for me to be off to work, and my children and husband were proud of what I was accomplishing. But it didn't take long for my absence to be felt, both by the children and by us as a couple.

I prayed much, but it wasn't until February of last year that God showed me clearly what I was to do. I was involved in a car accident, and due to whiplash injuries, I could not continue in my position. I came home.

It has taken a year to get caught up again. Seriously! You would not believe how many areas of my home were not in order, simply because I was gone two days per week.

I am so thankful for a husband who believes that it is a blessing to have me home with his children.

Anyway, all that to say that I am glad you are home, too. What a privilege it is, isn't it?

Blessings,
Janet