Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thanksgiving Lilies

A lovely surprise for the fall. These were the potted Easter Lilies from our church - after they had finished blooming in the spring, I asked my pastor if I could take them home. They are annuals and I knew they would bloom for me next year: However, as I let them sprout up in height, I noticed back in mid-September that they were promising to flower again - if the frost didn't take them out first! Then, just before leaving for camping, one of the blooms opened up. Now several of them have followed suit:
This shot shows how tall the stalks have become - see the tallest stalk has unopen blooms on it, as well. Hopefully they all have a chance to open before the snow flies. I could have freshly cut lilies on my Thanksgiving table! (Canadian Thanksgiving is the second weekend in October)





1 comment:

Mrs. Parunak said...

Wow, those are gorgeous. What fun!